Wednesday, November 18, 2009

henna hills

This is a view from the top of our house. It is very peaceful.






It's hard to believe that we have been here almost 20 days now. But even in that short time I have managed to feel more and more at ease here. Rhythms have always been important to me, and I feel as though I have begun to develop a rhythm here, though it requires I move more slowly than I am used to
















We had been teaching english classes on mondays wednesdays and fridays. Since that time, the school has found a suitable and certified teacher for the children. So we teach art classes and do storytelling instead. The art classes are fantastic and such a treat for the children. The story telling is often a delight. We will soon run out of books though, and I am unsure what to do at that point. We must draw from the school's library, and it has a very limited number of books.





The children also lack art supplies. It is uncommon even for government schools to provide art classes, and many private schools like Matilda have popped up (especially in metropolitan centers like mumbai and new delhi).


Several days this week and last were spent celebrating teacher's day and children's day. This was fun and the children really enjoyed it. I took a lot of pictures. A couple of days were given over to relays and games. There were more treats than usual, and Julia and I performed a song(I played my harmonica). We were unsure of what to do, but decided on Swing Low Sweet Chariot. The teachers even played games. Musical chairs, tug of war, badmitton, volleyball. Very fun.

We have made a very good start to our interviews. There will be lots of transcribing to do. I look forward to the work. I am often moved by the stories which Das and Doris, founder of the Matilda schools tell us. I think that it is good that others will know their story as well.

We ask that you continue to pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment